As a SHESS player, you are a woman, regardless of age or background, who has a strong interest in self-improvement, playing chess, and business development. This article is specifically written for women in business and provides 10 creative tips for business success which are analogous to basic tips for playing chess.
In general, the word “SHESS” represents “she” for female and “chess” for the game. SHESS becomes your game of life and as a SHESS player, you must observe your opponents in your marketplace and keep abreast of new trends in your business field. You must also keep a watchful eye and an open mind as to what other business owners are doing so you stay ahead of the game. Pay attention to what is written about other entrepreneurs and relevant business news because their advice may teach you lessons for success in your business.
Remember, as a SHESS player, you need to stay focused on your goals and learn from others. Researching what others do in your marketplace gives you an idea as to what you are confronting. It helps to prepare you for the unexpected — just like when you play a game of chess. It is equally important to pay close attention to mistakes other business owners have made in their industries because these errors are also very useful lessons.
With that said, below is a list of 10 SHESS Tips for Business Success, which I have put together to help you develop strategies in business as indicated in my book “Let’s Play SHESS.” (http://www.playshess.com)
10 SHESS TIPS
- Observe and focus on what your opponent or competitor is doing directly or indirectly in your marketplace. Research and identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
- Think before you act. Anticipate, plan, and assess the situation or options before you decide on a best cause of action.
- Prepare a solid business plan for guidance, development, financing, and future growth projections. Think of your business plan as a changing road map with milestones to force you to consider important issues and help you reach your goals.
- Know and understand your position and responsibilities as a leader in your company. Know the value of your employees/consultants. Hire top talent to stay ahead of the game.
- Ensure your business has an edge in your marketplace and stays competitive. Know who your client/customer base is and what you are offering. Are you keeping up with the current trends in marketing and technology?
- Stay true to your company mission, vision, values, and culture while protecting the core of your business. Be consistent with customer service and don’t lose sight of what is important.
- Your “business entity” is your “King.” It is what you built and you need to defend and protect it at all costs, including safeguarding your reputation in your industry.
- When compromising something, determine if what you are giving up is worth less than what you are gaining. Know when it is the right time to keep, change, or get rid of something in your business.
- Consider what possibilities you have once you have established your business. All actions and decisions have consequences. From the start of the business, every decision you make reflects on your reputation and the success of your company. Don’t stop planning for the future. Consider where you want to be in 5-10 years from now.
- Stay sharp and vigilant. Never take anything for granted. Be on the lookout for those external obstacles (opponents who are a person, place, or thing) orinternal resistors (how you think and feel about yourself) on your battlefield. These impediments have a tendency to sneak up on you and can jeopardize everything you worked to build.
What is important is to anticipate, plan, and be at the ready for anything that comes your way. A woman who owns her own business is a powerful force to contend with. So, do not stop analyzing your market, customer base, and competition. Best of luck in all your business endeavors! – Author Wendy Oliveras